There are multiple ways to taper the end of tungsten electrodes for your welding application. In this article, we will show you the different ways to sharpen wolfram electrodes and the best tools for the job. We will also discuss the best type of tungsten grinder for the type of job you are working on.
Table of Contents
- Best Tungsten grinders
- Popular Models
- Accesories and replacements
- Tungsten grinder: Methods and tools for the job
- Types available of tungsten sharpeners
Best Tungsten grinders
- Genuine TungstenMate GEN4. Designed and precision CNC machined in the USA
- Over 1000 sold with 1000+ positive feedback on other selling platforms
- Four integrated Tungsten sharpening angles (10°, 15°, 20°, 22.5°) with Tungsten Cut-Off Slot
- Four Tungsten Guide sizes included: 0.040", 1/16", 3/32", 1/8"
- Four Guide Offsets dramatically increase diamond wheel life
- Fits most all Rotary Tools with a 3/4-12 thread including Black and Decker, Milwaukee, Bosch Dremel and More! (Package No Rotary Tools Included)
- 4 brass tungsten guide rails: 0/40", 1/16", 3/32" and 1/8". The guides ensure concentricity and multi-offset. Increase the utilization of grinding wheel. Upgrade aluminum alloy material, CNC finishing more Durable,there will be no trouble of high temperature melting.
- A tungsten sharpening tool has four angled holes on it for use. 22.5°, 20°, 15° and 10° (45°, 40°, 30°, 20° Included Angle respectively). Precise control make Upgraded grinding tools will grind a More perfect tungsten tip angle.
- Tungsten sharpening tool also has tungsten cut-off port processing. After the tungsten you are using is worn or contaminated, you can use the cut-off port for cutting, so that you can use it again.
- Special hollow design makes the grinding wheel installation more convenient. Quick-Change phillips Shaft with phillips Screwdriver. Just try it!
- Increase Arc Control, Increase Arc Stability
- Eliminate Arc Wander On Outside Corners, Eliminate Porosity With Contaminated Tungsten Electrodes
- Create Better Looking, Stronger And Better Penetrating Welds With Consistent And Accurate Tungsten Prepared Points
- Has Engineered "Slots" That Are Designed To Hold Both 1/16" And 3/32" Tungsten To 10 Degree And 22.5 Degree Angles For Re-Sharpening
- Plug Type: 2-Prong, Polarized , Motor: 1.5 Amp , Input Voltage: 120 Vac, 60 Hz , 35,000 RPM No-Load Speed
- 6061 Aluminum: Grind all day with no fear of ever melting
- Multi-Angle design with 20 and 15 degrees tungsten grind angles.
- Three integrated Tungsten Guide sizes: 1/16", 3/32", 1/8"
- Multi-Offset guides dramatically increase diamond wheel life
- Machined in Tungsten Cut-Off Slot
- Genuine TungstenMate Simplicity. Designed and precision CNC machined in the USA
- 15° (30° Included Angle) Integrated Tungsten sharpening angle
- 3 Hardened Steel Tungsten Guides Included: 1/16", 3/32", 1/8"
- Integrated Tungsten Cut Off Port
- Fits most Rotary Tools Including Dremel, Black and Decker, Milwaukee Etc.
- Sharpie Deluxe Tungsten Grinder - 110V Model
- 2 Standard Diamond Grinding Wheel
- .040" (1.0mm), 1/16" (1.6mm), 3/32" (2.4mm) and 1/8" (3.2mm) collets
- Heavy Duty Storage Case
- Fits all variable speed rotary tools with 3/4" coarse threads
- Includes 1 two sided diamond wheel. 1/8" and 3/32 collet sizes
- Air tight design
- Clear top for viewing grind
- Quickest sharpen on the market
- 【Welcome to "Fan-Ling", please reading the product description and key product features carefully before buying .If you want to know more other products information, please search "Fan-Ling"】
- 【High hardness, super coarse teeth,for fit Processing wood, aluminum, plastic, etc.It can be used for Rotary File, Electric grinding polishing head, Engraving cutter.】
- outfit open tray ring pliers plumbing plumbers handle park handled quarter ratchet sockets hexagon bend vest wheel essential keys zither filter lay loggerhead bionic grip tiger one armature rotor thin mini t-handle spoke chain cycle metric folding fold-up jumbo nuts offset pipe pedal watchdogs
- hex straight combination end mill installer file driver pocket-hole point reduced triangle twist taper steal brick high speed wrench mask torque magic multipurpose adjustable wide bicycle bottle opener super single cordless car cake costume spanner digital drive demolition inch female figure bike fancy dress gun grips glasses hammer holster pack jacket junior watch dogs jaw crescent lanyard lever necklace spinner
- accessory piece case chisel empty collar depth stop kit dust collector extender extension magnetic bar tiles concrete ceramic guide gauge holder quick release hole cutter impact index imperial iron jig key knife sharpener long wall masonry large measuring multi purpose tools cobalt nails nut nozzle cleaning oil organizer pouch pad polisher saw pieces blue complete change roll rack sanding disc socket make holes titanium universal pin vice v-line wire plus mixed all year work zone
- Esab G-Tech
- Turbo Sharp
Accesories and replacements
- Grinding Wheel
- Electrode grinder sharpener
- Sharpener holder
- grinder spares
- bench grinder
- grinding wand
- knife sharpeners
- carbide sharpener
- abrasive cutting
Tungsten grinder: Methods and tools for the job
Unorthodox ways of tapering your electrode
If you have no other tools, you can actually use a cutting torch to sharpen your electrode. To do it, you need to get the electrode red hot using the torch. After that, you can squeeze the lever and move the flame up and down the tip of the electrode. The flame should taper the end of the tungsten.
This method is only used in construction jobs where the welders already have a torch ready. However, it is not advised to use this method for home applications. Because it uses up a lot of fuel for such a simple task. The finished product also has a charred color to it.
Crude grinding solutions
There are multiple types of wolfram grinders. For example, you can just use normal grinding tools like a rotating rock grinder. As the rock rotates, you just let the tip of your tungsten rod touch it. You should control the position of the rod to the abrasive to get the ideal grind angle.
You can also use a regular belt sander if you already have one at home. Just like with the rock grinder, you will be able to control the desired taper by controlling the angle of the rod to the belt sander.
When using these crude ways of grinding, you will need to attach the wolfram rod to a drill. So that you will get a uniform grinding at all sides of the electrode.
You can use any type of grinding tool to sharpen your tungsten. However, you need to choose the grinding material properly. If you use the grinders for different types of materials, the residue in the abrasive from past jobs may become embedded on the tungsten.
If you are in the semiconductor or aerospace industry then, these methods of grinding wolfram should not be used.
Chemical sharpening solutions
You will also find chemical solutions to sharpening your tungsten electrode. Chemical wolfram sharpeners work with all types of wolfram electrodes. All you have to do is to heat the electrode up and dip it in the powdered chemical.
To heat the electrode up, you can use a propane torch or just grind it against a piece of metal. Once the electrode is red hot, you just need to dip the heated end to the powder. By dipping it in and out of the chemical, the end of the electrode will begin to taper. You can get a long taper by dipping a longer tip of the electrode. The length that you dip will taper.
When using this method, expect some fumes to come out as you dip the electrode into the chemical. It is best to work in an open space as you do this to minimize inhalation of the said fumes. You will also want to scrub the finished product with a rough sponge to remove the chemical residue.
This type of tungsten sharpener works and it is cheaper than buying electrode sharpening tools. However, the chemical used is consumable. That means that you will need to keep buying the stuff if you need more of it in the future. If you constantly need to sharpen tungsten, you will want something that will last.
Using diamond wheel heads
Diamond wheels are also effective for this type of task. You can create a makeshift wolfram grinder by attaching a diamond wheel head to the tip of a regular drill. And then use it to sharpen your tungsten.
It is possible to get various types of diamond grinding wheels for whatever tool you have at home. You will still need to attach the tungsten electrode to a drill to use this method.
Getting a new diamond wheel for your drill or cutting wheel will cost you less than $10. You can use these new wheels exclusively for grinding electrodes to minimize the amount of impurities embedded in the electrode.
Just like with the other makeshift methods discussed above, you will need a steady hand to make this work. You should also expect dust to be all over the place.
Types available of tungsten sharpeners
You need to be experienced in using wheel grinders to be able to use them to sharpen your electrodes. While the methods we suggest above are easy, most beginner welders will not be confident enough to do it.
For most beginners, it can be tricky to get the right angle you want when sharpening wolfram by hand. You need a steady hand to get the right angle. Any mistake will affect the consistency of their weld.
For professional welders, only the ones with years of experience actually grind their electrodes by hand. The rest of us need to use electronic grinders to ensure welding quality.
If you are a beginner at this, it is best to use the best practices when grinding your tungsten electrodes. You should use the commercially available tungsten grinders from hardware shops or online stores. The prices of these tools vary depending on the brand and the features they offer.
Here are some of the types of wolfram grinders available in the market.
Hand-held Electrode Grinder
Most of casual users prefer to use hand-held grinders. This grinding tool is perfect for users who are just starting to weld. Some beginners may not have the steady hand to use the methods described above.
This tool allows them to get a consistently good angle for their electrodes. It minimizes wastage and it is safer to use because the grinding happens in an enclosed system.
To use handheld grinders, you only need to insert the electrode into the machine and turn the grinder on. You may want to practice using it so that you will know how to manipulate the angles properly. For some brands, you just need to hold the tungsten steadily. Others may require you to turn the electrode as you sharpen them.
This type of sharpener usually has a diamond-grinding wheel. Check if the tool has a dust collector. If it does not, you may want to check where the dust comes out. If you work away from your home, you could also bring this type of tool with you. They are also cheaper than benchtop grinders.
Before you buy any brand of this type of tool, you should first check the replacement diamond wheels on the market. You need to make sure that there are available replacements in the market. Because there will come a time when you will need to buy them.
You should avoid buying phased out models for this type of tool. They may come cheap but the company may not be producing the replacement diamond wheels anymore. If this is the case, your handheld grinder will be worthless after a few years of using it.
Benchtop Electrode grinders
Certain industries require consistent angles for their electrodes. If you work in such an industry, you may need to invest in a benchtop wolfram sharpener machine. This type of grinders has a compartment that collects all the dust from the grinding. This is perfect for semiconductor welding where any amount of dust is unacceptable.
These types of grinders are also more precise than the handheld version. Most importantly, the wheels of benchtop grinders are more likely to last longer than the handheld version.
The only downside with the benchtop grinders is that it is more expensive than the handheld version. If you work outdoors, this may not be the tool for you because they are not portable. Just like the handheld version, you need to practice using it before you can consistently get the right angles for your electrodes.
You should only use the crude ways discussed earlier in the article if you have no other options. If you are just starting out, you may want start with cheaper brands of handheld wolfram sharpener welding tools. However, if you work in an industry where your work area needs to be dust free, you may need to use the benchtop varieties. The best grinders for you depends on your specific needs and your budget.